Pollution help needed

Usual Surf Chat

Moderator: windybeach

BrightonSASRep

Pollution help needed

Postby BrightonSASRep » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:15 pm

Calling all Brighton surfers - SAS needs your help once more.

There have been reports of small coloured sponge balls appearing around the Hotpipe in recent months and need your help to stop these littering our beach. The sponge balls in question are likely to have come from the power station as a technique employed for cleaning the pipes. Details of exactly what these balls look like can be seen on the SAS website here... http://www.sas.org.uk/campaigns/marine- ... k-beaches/ - they may or may not be blue as seen on the site though.

We've questioned the power station about these and firstly they told us they don't use blue foam balls then they secondly said they have a system in place to capture them, so we need to establish whether they are using them or not and if so how effective their system to capture them is. I've been down to the Hotpipe a few times in the past weeks looking out for these things but looking for small stuff on a pebbly beach is like looking for a needle in a haystack and so I've had no luck.

If anyone is down by the Hotpipe and spots them could you please take a pic of them on the beach and email myself at brighton@sas.org.uk or email the SAS office.

On a lighter note, the 3rd annual Sharkbait/SAS Christmas party will be back at the Brunswick, Hove on Monday 17th December. Mark it in the diary and hope to see you there.

Cheers
Aaron

whitecampervanman

Re: Pollution help needed

Postby whitecampervanman » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:15 am

Aaron
I often beach comb in kemptown, and these are common (the bottom type on the SAS page, but they're pinky brown).
Never known what they were. I have a couple at home - I'll try and email you a pic.
James

BrightonSASRep

Postby BrightonSASRep » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:43 pm

Cheers James

whitecampervanman

Postby whitecampervanman » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:58 pm

Aaron

Pic attached. I find these every now and again between the palace pier and marina, but to be honest bouncy balls dropped from the pier are more common!

The main type of litter, for sure, is from fishing boats. Perhaps SAS could do some awareness work with fishermen?

Cheers,
James

BrightonSASRep

Postby BrightonSASRep » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:42 pm

Hi James

Any chance you still have that foam ball or others? Now we've got photo evidence we need to get some physical examples.

Cheers Aaron

whitecampervanman

Postby whitecampervanman » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:56 pm

I'll try and remember to bring it tomorrow night.

Return to “Main Surf Chat”