France - heading west...

Usual Surf Chat

Moderator: windybeach

RIC9

France - heading west...

Postby RIC9 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:28 pm

Hi,
I know there was a really interesting post on this in the old Sharkbait format, but I can't track it down now:
Thinking of a two week road trip to the west coast of France. Probably June time. Can anyone recommend any areas worth checking out with a T4 and a tent for waves. Only familiar with the Lacanau area. Happy to tour/explore a bit or stay put if the waves and area's right. Just looking for a chill by the sea and hopefully score a few waves to boot. Past visits have seen everything from flat to pumping but not much in between. Wrong time of year possibly.. Which ferry crossing do Sharkbait users recommend?
Have you still got that old post James?
Any info gratefully received...
Cheers,

Rich

Boogieslider

Re: France - heading west...

Postby Boogieslider » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:43 pm

june !! its gonna be flat !! hot though ...

can you wait until august or september or something like that - still warm water and might get some early autumn swel?

Ive been loads of times like most peeps on this forum, and my wife is from north brittany as well - so i know brittany as well ...

We always take the newhaven-dieppe ferry on LD lines, and then drive the rest of the way. Will take you about 8-9 hours to get to lacanau... takes about 12 hours to get to hossegor as well... brittany will be about 6-7 hours. france is always bigger than it looks.

South brittany has some great spots ... check La torche on the end of the penninsula, and quiberon in the south if you like heavy beachbreaks and crepes

RIC9

Postby RIC9 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:35 pm

Thanks mate, remember Quiberon from the old post. Cheers for the June - flat advice too. Was trying to fit in with the girlfriend, but am flexible. Sounds like Newhaven -Dieppe's a goer. Another lad I know has recommended Brittany - open to any pointers on places that are worth a look. Sounds like there's a few 'trips' there. Will start putting a few crosses on a map. Any more advice on taking a T4 road trip over to France gratefully received. Cheers, Rich

Boogieslider

Postby Boogieslider » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:55 am

haha dont tell anyone and dont put any crosses on no maps! Well certainly dont tell anyway ...

I reckon the best wave there quiberon - 3 beachbreaks right next to eachother, but be careful its pretty heavy actually as the waves comes out of deep water and will thrash you hard so make sure you are fit enough before you go. Nice cheap places to stay or camp as well and the locals are pretty cool.

Crozon in Brest is beautiful as well. Lovely blue water and not crowded at all.

I think there are tonnes of secret spots on the south coast - but you really need local knowledge to get to them. I dont know em though sorry !

Bonne Chance !

RIC9

Postby RIC9 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:37 pm

Cheers, I can feel a plan coming on!

idbtao

Postby idbtao » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:34 am

takes about 12 hours to get to hossegor as well... brittany will be about 6-7 hours. france is always bigger than it looks?
Our Actual Exams and testking Testking java certifications pass guarantee. You can get access to teas practice test and rasmussen with multiple prep resources ofMiami International University of Art & Design good luck.

Swell

Postby Swell » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:55 pm

There's a nice stretch of coast in the Vendee area - from St. Gilles Croix de Vie down to Les Sables-d'Olonne, just north of La Rochelle - where there's a number of nice beach breaks - and a reef break if I remember it right. Picks up plenty of swell though probably not quite as big as the more southern breaks.

Return to “Main Surf Chat”